Department: Patient Transportation
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
Hours: M-F Between 7-5 Variable
Benefit Eligible: Yes
Temporary Position: No
Weekend Requirements: No Weekends
Hours / Pay Period: 80
Job Title: Patient Navigator
Reports to: Director Care Access
Prepared By: Patrick Rowland
Summary:. York Hospital Patient Transportation drivers are responsible for the safe and secure transport of passengers and materials to and from York Hospital facilities and affiliates offices. Drivers also operate an employee shuttle bringing staff from off-site parking to their workplace. Work also includes daily vehicle inspection, fueling, cleaning of interior and exterior, maintaining accurate records, utilizing smartphone for phone calls and text messages. York Hospital expects drivers to always assist patients in need, maintain a professional appearance, remain courteous and promote a positive patient experience. Each team member is responsible to exercise the mission and vision of YH in providing safe patient and family centered care that is compassionate, timely, effective, efficient, and of the highest quality and to ensure an exceptional patient experience..
Essential Duties and Responsibilities (but not limited to):
• Maintain courteous, inviting, professional demeanor at all times with patients, family members, caregivers, providers, and co-workers. Always maintain York Hospital's code of Loving Kindness
• Collaborate with other team members to ensure patients, family and other team members needs are met
• Respect patient confidentiality guidelines without exception understanding a violation is grounds for disciplinary action
• Professional appearance and demeanor at all times
• Ability to work constructively in a team environment contributing actively to team goals
• Exercise mature decision making and multi-tasking abilities and be able to work independently
• To remain calm and personable in a fast paced and sometimes difficult setting
• Support the timely flow of patient care by being a reliable, flexible, and dependable team member.
• Transportation: Transport of patients and staff utilizing passenger vehicles or shuttle van. Pick up or delivery of other items as directed.
• Driving Behavior and Safety: Always follow safe and responsible driving practices adhering to all traffic laws. Remain cautious and alert to changing traffic and weather conditions. Drivers must be flexible about last minute scheduling changes and respond in a positive manner.
• Local Knowledge: Gain knowledge of area routes and locations of all York Hospital practices and affiliated offices.
• Care of Vehicle: Maintain York Hospital vehicles by inspecting, checking and refilling fluids if needed, cleaning interior and exterior of vehicle daily, stocking of supplies in vehicle. Any repair needs are to be documented and reported. Maintain a clean and debris free environment for patients and fellow drivers.
• Patient Assistance and Safety: Provide assistance to patients and ensure their safety in all situations including the following: Entering/exiting their residence, Entering/Exiting the vehicle, Entering/Exiting the destination point. Always ensure the patient has safely entered/exited the building they are picked up or dropped off at. Assist in placing mobility aids in the vehicle.
• Attendance: Report to work on time, in proper uniform and make efficient use of time.
• Communication: Drivers are expected to safely answer calls via Bluetooth in vehicle. Calls are not to be answered with patients present. Phones are also to be monitored for voicemails and text messages and utilized for work purposes only. Drivers are also expected to check work email regularly and attend scheduled staff meetings and training sessions. Any form of communication shall always follow HIPAA guidelines.
• Dress Code: Drivers are expected to wear pants that are khaki in color and always have their nametag visible. Footwear of choice with no open toe. Please see dress code policy for more detail.
• Gratuities: Drivers shall not accept gifts, special consideration, or compensation from any person doing business with the Hospital. This includes patients and visitors. All donations to the Hospital by patients shall be documented and placed in the drop box.
Team Responsibilities and Duties:
• Adheres to Human Resources Policies and Procedures regarding absenteeism, successful team orientation and professional behavior
• Remains professional in appearance and adheres to dress code per team policy
• Provides support to achieve team goals and effectively contributes to the team process
• Performs inter-departmental in-services as requested by the team
• Demonstrates ability to be flexible with responsibilities and schedules as needed
• Demonstrates a positive attitude and readiness to embrace and apply change.
• Attend daily huddles/monthly meetings to discuss overall performance with team.
• Physical Requirements: Must be able to physically assist patients, lift and maneuver mobility aids (walkers, portable wheelchairs, etc.) Be capable of lifting 50 lbs utilizing proper lifting technique. Sitting in vehicle for long periods of time as well as frequent entering and exiting of vehicle. Standing both in and outdoors for long periods of time in all weather conditions.
• Oral Communication
• High energy
• Customer Service
• Interpersonal skills
- Qualifications/ Education/Experience:
Qualifications: Must possess a valid Maine driver's license with a good driving record. Be at least 21 years of age and have no physical limitations which would prevent safe operation of a motor vehicle, or providing physical assistance to passengers. Requires a high school diploma or GED, or equivalent work experience
YORK HOSPITAL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.