Department: Practice Support
Schedule: Part Time
Shift: Variable hours
On-Call Requirements: n/a
Benefit Eligible: Yes
Temporary Position: Yes
Length of Assignment: 9 mos
Weekend Requirements: No Weekends
Hours / Pay Period: 40
Summary of MA Apprentice Program:
York Hospital and York County Community College have partnered to offer the MA Apprentice program. This requires 20 paid clinical hours worked per week, while attending YCCC classes to earn your MA certification at the end of the nine-month program. We are offering apprenticeships at one of the York Hospital Family Practice’s in York, Kittery, Wells, Sanford, or S. Berwick. The Medical Assistant works with the practice team to assist in the delivery of direct and indirect patient care in the office setting under the supervision and direction of the Practice Providers and the Practice Manager. This includes, but is not limited to, utilization of skills in organization, planning, implementing, screening, and providing care through the use of hospital and practice standards of care.
Some Essential Duties and Responsibilities Include:
- Assist care according to YH protocols and procedures; demonstrate clinical competence in office specific procedural skills, treatments, patient/caregiver education, and acts as patient advocate in the delivery and coordination of patient care.
- Perform initial patient intake inclusive of rooming patients, obtain/review patient personal/medical/ medication/allergy history, collection of vital signs, height/weight, complete health screening tools and complete documentation/record keeping.
- Perform various data entry and information retrieval tasks using computerized patient record systems. Sort, file, forward, and scan information into electronic record systems as directed.
- Follow-up on test results by checking for outstanding results, routing to provider for review and following up with patients as directed by provider and appropriate to schedule further appointments or consultations, give out/send prescriptions authorized by provider etc.
- Practice specific competencies which may include perform basic lab work; draw specimens and process or send to lab per office protocols, prepare other lab specimens such as cultures, UA, pap smears, etc. for lab pick up; provide minor procedural assists and perform point of care tests as directed by provider: EKG, strep screens, HgA1C, etc.
- Administer immunization/medications per provider direction.
- Assist with patient registry management, participating in patient reminder processes and health promotion efforts, as well as previsit planning and chart prep.
- Provide optimal customer service a member of the care team in person, by phone, or other practice-supported patient messaging system acting as a liaison between the patient and practice team to provide exceptional patient experiences.
- Organize exam rooms, set up for procedures, do general cleaning and office upkeep, assist with quality monitoring/record keeping/inventory of equipment/supplies.
- Ability to organize and multitask as a forward-thinker, and remain calm and personable in a fast-paced medical office setting.
- Provide efficient and effective care working with Providers during clinical sessions, as a reliable, flexible, and dependable team member. Demonstrate a willingness to learn and adapt to the dynamics of a constantly changing health care environment.
- Collaborate with other health care providers, physicians, Practice Manager, clinical staff, and support staff regarding practice and patient needs.
- Other duties as assigned.
YORK HOSPITAL IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER.