Department: Environmental Services- York Hospital
Schedule: Full Time
Shift: Day Shift
On-Call Requirements: On-Call rotation
Benefit Eligible: Yes
Temporary Position: No
Weekend Requirements: Occasional Weekends
Hours / Pay Period: 80
At York Hospital, we're more than a hospital. We are a team of providers, clinicians and staff members offering expertise within a Hospital setting, our community sites, and physician practices located throughout Southern Maine and the NH seacoast. Our caregivers' commitment is to make a positive difference in the lives of one another, our patients and our community by instilling our vision of Loving Kindness for all.
York Hospital, we are a Community. For Life.
The HVAC Tech will be responsible for the preventive and corrective maintenance of the climate control systems, fixed and portable equipment, planning and managing HVAC construction projects, and the installation of new equipment at the Hospital and satellite locations.
II. Principal Responsibilities and Duties
- Provides practical knowledge for the maintenance, repair and installation of new and existing systems and equipment.
- Possesses a valid Universal HVAC Technician and driver's license. Stays current with regulatory requirements and keeps in compliance with current NFPA/EPA codes and requirements.
- Must ensure all HVAC procedures are performed safely with strict adherence to Federal, State, and local regulatory requirements.
- Performs preventive maintenance on a variety of equipment according to established procedures; inspects, calibrates, adjusts, lubricates, and repairs or replaces components. Services or repairs the more complex equipment; schedules and maintains records of maintenance and repairs.
- Diagnoses systems malfunctions on a variety of mechanical and/or electrical HVAC equipment. Dismantles and repairs or replaces defective parts; reassembles, tests, and reinstalls repaired equipment.
- Responds to calls for emergency repairs; completes repairs and documents services rendered.
- Maintains documents and drawings for existing and new systems and equipment.
- Performs and documents scheduled inspections and electrical safety tests necessary to maintain conformance to code requirements.
- Performs and documents equipment repairs and tests new and repaired equipment before it is put into service.
- Trains staff in the operation of new equipment and systems.
- Orders supplies and parts according to established procedures. Is responsible for maintaining a working inventory of stock, tools and supplies necessary for performing assigned tasks.
- Obtains permits and maintains records in compliance with Local/State/Federal requirements.
- Assists with the engineering and planning for required work, evaluation of new equipment, and procuring supplies for scheduled projects.
- Works with other members of EVS for the planning and execution of daily work and necessary cleanup after completion of projects.
- Assists with security issues and participates in emergency response activities as required (e.g. Code Red, Code Grey, etc.).
- Establishes and maintains courteous, cooperative relations when interacting with co?workers, hospital personnel, and the public.
- Understands and adheres to the Hospital's waste management, recycling and emergency spill procedures for solid, organic, hazardous, universal, biomedical, pathological and cytotoxic waste streams and should follow all state and federal safety and handling requirements.
- Performs other maintenance and facilities duties as required. Available to work any shift as needed, respond to emergency situations and share on call duties.
III Physical Requirements
HVAC and maintenance work is a physically demanding activity that will require walking, climbing stairs and ladders, lifting, twisting, and bending in order to access areas needed. The HVAC Technician will be required to perform all tasks normally associated with their trade as well as the maintenance trade and at times will be required to lift and transfer materials and equipment needed to perform duties.
• Must be able to lift cartons, bags and/or containers weighing 50 pounds to waist height (36″) using proper lifting techniques
• Must be able to control and maneuver wheeled containers and carts weighing up to 250 lbs on flat surfaces and minor inclines (<5%)
• Must be able to lift buckets containing as much as 5.0 gallons of liquid (36 lbs.) to waist height (36″)
• Must be able to reach and bend frequently to retrieve items from floor level, and perform maintenance tasks at floor to ceiling level using approved practices and equipment
• Must be able to apply pressure (25 lbs) to and manipulate equipment and tools for mechanical activities.
• Must be able to balance and work from a ladder with hands raised above shoulder height to perform installations and repairs.
• Staff in the Hospital HVAC Tech/Maintenance position must possess excellent communication skills, and be able to talk to patients and staff in a clear, professional and respectful manner.
• Staff in the Maintenance position must understand how to properly use and maintain equipment.
• Staff in the Maintenance position must possess good judgment and problem solving skills, and have the ability to understand processes and participate in collective efforts to improve processes.
• Staff in this position should possess a minimum of a high school diploma as well as a minimum of seven years of experience in the HVAC trade.